A must visit for families of all ages. Singleton Park has acres of simple, unadorned green space.
In 1847 John Henry Vivian purchased Veranda House for his son Henry Hussey Vivian and his wife Jessie. Within a year Jessie had died after giving birth to their son. Henry was distraught and resolved not to live in the house and by 1853 only the estate lodge remained, the principal part of Veranda having been dismantled. St Paul's Church Sketty, was built as a memorial to Jessie. The Singleton Estate as it had now become had amalgamated some 12 farms to amass 250 acres. By 1851 the Walled Garden had become the kitchen and flower garden to serve the needs of the Vivian family.
The County Borough Council purchased Singleton Estate in 1919 for use as a public park. Daniel Bliss, who was trained at Kew Gardens, was the driving force behind the purchase of the Singleton Estate, and began in early 1920 to oversee the transformation of the park and garden. The layout of the gardens has much to do with his vision and plans.
From the city centre, travel along the A4067 Oystermouth Road.
Postcode - SA2 8PY