Search site

Information for Carers of Children (Parent Carers)

This information is for carers of disabled children - parents or someone else who has responsibility for looking after the child.

If you are in touch with Social Services and we are assessing your child's needs, we will also talk to you about your own needs as a carer. We look at what help your child needs, over and above what any child would need, and take account of what you feel you are able to do, and what support you feel you need.. This is an opportunity for you to talk about how you feel, what effect caring has on your life and what kind of help that would make it easier for you to care.  This may include:

  • Your physical and emotional health
  • What would happen if you were ill, or if there was some other emergency
  • How long you have been caring
  • How much help you receive
  • How often you don't have a full night's sleep
  • The physical, emotional and practical impact of your caring role
  • Any other responsibilities you may have such as other dependent children
  • Whether you are in paid employment or would like to work or take up training while continuing with your caring role
  • What effect the caring role has on your other relationships and friendships
  • Whether you have any 'free' time outside your caring role, and whether you have any time for leisure activities.

Contact us

If you want to ask for an assessment of your child's needs or your needs as a carer please contact:

Children's Central Advice, Referral and Assessment Team (CCARAT)
Telephone: 01792 635700

If you want general advice or information about how Social Services can support children with disabilities and their families please contact:

Child Disability Team
Telephone: 01792 635180

Please note that the Child Disability Team cannot provide support until an assessment of the child's needs has been completed.  All referrals must be made via CCARAT (details above).

Other sources of support

Two national organisations with local links provide support and advice for carers.  Both have useful websites.

Carers TrustOpens new window

Carers UKOpens new window

Swansea Carers CentreOpens new window provides information, help and support for carers.  This includes benefits advice, counselling, IT training, activities and support groups.

Swansea Carers Centre
104 Mansel Street
Swansea SA1 5UE

Tel:  01792 653344

Parent Carer ForumOpens new window meets once a month at Swansea Council for Voluntary Service.  This provides a support and development service for families, a chance to share information and ideas and the opportunity to participate in planning and decision making for the development of services.

Sandra Spratt
Tel: 01792 544019

Contact a FamilyOpens new window is a national organisation for families with disabled children. It provides information and advice through publications and its website.

Contact a Family Cymru
33-35 Cathedral Road
Cardiff CF11 9HB

Tel: 029 2039 6624

SNAP CymruOpens new window provides information and support to the families of children with special educational needs.

Tel: 0845 120 3730

The Swansea Carers Action Group has produced a leaflet  PDF Document Information for Carers in Swansea (Are You a Carer?) (PDF, 337KB)Opens new window which lists a wide range of other organisations providing help and support to carers in Swansea.

Powered by GOSS iCM