Search site

Support for Carers of Adults and Carer's Needs Assessments

This information for adults who are carers for other adults. It tells you about how you can ask for support from Social Services.

 What is a carer?

A Carer is someone who provides unpaid support to a relative, partner or friend who, due to illness, disability, old age, mental health difficulties or an addiction, could not manage without this help. 

Carers come from all backgrounds and can be of any age. Many feel they are doing what anyone else would in the same situation; looking after their mother, son, or best friend for example, and just getting on with it.

This help may be personal care, such as helping them get up in the morning, getting washed and dressed.        It may be practical help such as cooking, cleaning or laundry or help with shopping.   It may also involve providing emotional support and keeping them safe from harm. 

Who is this information for?

This factsheet is for adults who are Carers for other adults.  It tells you about support that is available for Carers in Swansea.

We have separate factsheets for Carers (including parents) of a child with a disability and for Young Carers (under the age of 18).

Swansea Carers Centre

provides information, advice, assistance and support for Carers.  This includes benefits advice, counselling, advocacy, training opportunities, activities and support groups.  Its services are free and open to all Carers.

Swansea Carers Centre
104 Mansel Street
Swansea  SA1 5UE

Tel: 01792 653344


Carers Allowance

If you care for someone who receives a disability-related benefit for 35 hours or more per week you may be able to claim Carer's Allowance. Carer's Allowance can have an impact on other means-tested benefits, so, if either you or the person you are caring for is in receipt of a means-tested benefit, you should seek advice to check that neither of you would be worse off before submitting a claim. There is more information at

The Carer's Needs Assessment

All adult Carers have the right to a free assessment of their needs, arranged though Social Services.

Social Services has a duty to undertake a Carer's Assessment where it appears that the Carer has a need for support.

The Carer's Needs Assessment is a conversation with a trained member of staff.  The assessment will focus on your needs and concerns as a Carer and not those of the person you care for.  You should feel free to ask questions and tell us if there is anything you don't understand.

Many Carers have a Carer's Needs Assessment at the same time as the person they care for is getting their needs assessed. But you can ask for a Carer's Needs Assessment at any time, even if the person you care for doesn't want any help from Social Services, or if they are already getting help.

For the majority of Carers, the support that is provided will involve understanding their needs through a discussion of their caring role, and signposting to appropriate information and community services to assist them.

How does the Assessment work?

A trained member of staff will meet with you to talk about how you are coping with looking after the person you care for.

The Assessment is not a test to see if you are doing it well enough, but an opportunity for you to talk about how you feel and what effect caring has on your own life.

The Carer's Needs Assessment is also a chance for you to find out if there is any support available to help you in your role as Carer.

The Assessment may cover such things as:

  • How long you have been caring
  • Your current physical and emotional health
  • What would happen if you were ill, or if there was some other emergency
  • How much help you receive
  • How often you do or don't have a full night's sleep
  • The physical, emotional and practical impact of your caring role
  • Any other responsibilities you may have such as dependent children
  • Whether you are in paid employment or would like to work or take up training while continuing with your caring role
  • What effect the caring role has on your other relationships and friendships
  • Whether you have any 'free' time outside your caring role, and whether you have any time for leisure activities.
  • Any other aspirations you have which are currently limited by your caring role

Preparing for the Assessment

You can prepare for the Carer's Needs Assessment by thinking about the kind of support that would make it easier for you to care, or to continue caring. It may help you
to think about the things you do to help the person you care for, such as housework, helping them to have a bath, or just popping in to check they are safe and well.  It will also help you think about what impact this has on your other day-to-day responsibilities.

If you wish you can also tell us how you feel about the things you do, and whether you find any of them difficult or stressful.

We have a self-assessment questionnaire for Carers  Word Document Preparing for a Carer’s Assessment Questionnaire (Word, 226KB)Opens new window which you may find helpful. You are not required to complete this before your assessment unless you wish to.  

Why should I have a Carer's Needs Assessment?

The Carer's Needs Assessment could:

  • provide an opportunity to talk through issues, consider your own needs, and think about planning for the future.
  • provide information on practical support, benefits, grants, carers groups and voluntary services.

If the person you care for is getting help from Social Services, the Carer's Needs Assessment also gives you a chance to say what you can - and can't - provide as part of their care.

Getting help for the person you care for

Social Services may be able to provide services for the person you care for, which will help you by giving you a break from your caring role.

In order to get some of these services, the person you care for will normally have to have an assessment of their needs. This is similar to the Carer's Needs Assessment, and looks at what they are able, and would like, to do for themselves, what help they need, and whether they are eligible for support from Social Services.

We can tell you more about this at your Carers Needs Assessment if you wish.

Direct Payments

Some Carers find a Direct Payment - which may be given either to the Carer or the person you care for - allows them to make independent arrangements that suit them better than services put in place by Social Services.  More information about Direct Payments.

Contact Us

To talk to us about a Carer's Needs Assessment please contact:

Common Access Point for Health and Social Care
Tel: 01792 636519

Further information and support for carers

Two national organisations with local links provide support and advice for carers.  Both have useful websites.

Carers TrustOpens new window

Carers UKOpens new window
The Swansea Carers Action Group have produced a leaflet PDF Document Information for Carers in Swansea (PDF, 337KB)Opens new window which lists a wide range of other organisations providing help and support to carers in Swansea. For a copy ring Social Services on 01792 636902.

You can also find more information for carers at Carers

Social Services and personal information

When you are in touch with Social Services, we will keep information about you in written records and computer files. We will keep this information confidential, except where we need to share it with people providing you with care, or to protect you or other people.

You have a right to ask to see records we keep about you.

We can give you more information about how we handle personal information

Comments and complaints

We welcome any comments about our services - good or bad. We are interested to hear how we could do things better, and we like to know when we are doing well.

If you are unhappy with the services you receive, we encourage you to make a complaint. Full details are given in Making a Complaint, Comment or Compliment about Social Services. For more advice or information about making a complaint, you can contact our Complaints Officers on 01792 637345.

This information is also available in alternative formats, such as large print, on audio CD, in Braille, or electronically. Please phone 01792 636902 for copies.


Powered by GOSS iCM