Search site

Making a Comment, Complaint or Compliment about Swansea Social Services

To make a complaint, or if you need help to do so, you can ring 01792 637345

You can also download/print this information as a factsheet  PDF Document Making a Comment, Complaint or Compliment about Social Services (Factsheet 016) (PDF, 54KB)Opens new window

We want to know what you think...

Social Services aims to provide quality services to the public of the City and County of Swansea. There may be, however, times when things go wrong and a service user or someone sufficiently concerned with their welfare, may wish to complain.

The Law says that you have a right to get your views heard about Social Services. 

By telling us what you are unhappy about or what went well, you help us to improve the way we provide our services.

Who can use the Comments, Complaints and Compliments procedure?

The following people can use this procedure:

  • People using social care services provided by the Local Authority
  • People using social care services purchased or contracted by the Local Authority
  • A representative, relative or friend, properly nominated by a service user or acknowledged as appropriate to act in a service user's best interest when they lack capacity or have died 

If you are not sure whether you have the right to complain, you can check with the Complaints Officers who will advise on each individual case. 

How do I complain or compliment Social Services?

Firstly you should tell the staff member who provides support about what you feel is wrong so they can try to put things right for you.

If you prefer you can contact the Council Complaints Team whose officers can deal with complaints against Social Services. Their contact details are at the end of this page.

You must bring your complaint within 12 months unless you have exceptional reasons for not doing so. 

How does the complaints procedure work?

Stage 1 - Local Resolution

When we receive your complaint you will get an acknowledgement within two working days. We will contact you to discuss your complaint within ten working days. This could be via phone or if you prefer we can have a face-to-face meeting. Once we have discussed your complaint and the matter has been resolved, we will write to you within five working days of the resolution date confirming the outcome.

Most complaints are resolved at this stage, and it is usually the quickest and most straightforward way to deal with issues.

Stage 2 - Formal Consideration

If the complaint cannot be resolved at the informal stage, your complaint will progress to stage 2. Please contact the Complaints Officer to discuss the options available. This stage will be carried out by someone not directly involved with the service you are complaining about. During the investigation the Complaints Officer will keep you advised and informed of developments.

You are not obliged to take up the offer of a discussion at Local Resolution stage; you have the right to request a formal investigation from the very beginning if you wish. However, as this is a longer process than local resolution, we recommend trying to resolve matters through local resolution first.

When your complaint is investigated at Stage 2 we will write to you within 5 working days of receiving your request for a Formal Investigation, to make sure we understand all the details of your complaint and the outcome you would like to achieve. We will ask you to confirm that this is accurate and will also give you details of the Independent Investigator.

The date on which you confirm the detail of your complaint is called the 'start date' and we have 25 working days from this date to complete the investigation and send you a written response.

If we are unable to achieve this deadline, we will write to you and tell you why there is a delay and when you will receive the response. This will be as soon as possible after the 25 working day deadline and no later than 6 months from the date we received your complaint.

Who else can help?

If you are still unhappy after the conclusion of the internal process you can contact

The Public Services Ombudsman
1 Ffordd yr Hen Gae, 
CF35 5LJ

Telephone 01656 641150
Fax:  01656 641 199

Other sources of assistance

You can also contact the following people for help and support in making a complaint.

Advocacy Services

Advocacy for Children / Young People:
Tros Gynnal
14 Tawe Business Village,
Phoenix Way,
Llansamlet Swansea
Phone: 01792 794044

South Wales Mental Health Advocacy
Cefn Coed Hospital
Phone: 01792 516665

Health and Social Care Regulators

Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW)
Welsh Government office
Sarn Mynach
Llandudno Junction
LL31 9RZ
Phone: 0300 7900 126
Fax: 0872 437 7301

Social Care Wales
South Gate House
Wood Street
Phone: 0300 3033 444
Web site:

Your Local Councillor or Assembly Member

If you do not know who this is, contact: 
Democratic Services 
Civic Centre
Swansea SA1 3SY 

Telephone  01792 636923 

Contacting the Complaints Officers

You can phone, email or write to:

Sandra Beveridge

Complaints Officer (Social Services)
Council Complaints Team
City and County of Swansea
Civic Centre

Telephone  01792 637345

Social Services and personal information

Swansea Council is the data controller for the personal information you provide to us.  Your information will be used in the exercise of our official authority and will not be used for any other purpose.  We will not share your data with third parties unless we are required or permitted to do so by law. Data protection law describes the legal basis for our processing your data as necessary for the performance of a public task. 

For further information about how Swansea Council uses your personal data, including your rights as a data subject, please see our corporate privacy notice on our website

We can give you more information about how we handle personal information. Phone 01792 636902 for a factsheet.

We can give you more information about how we handle personal information .

Please tell us if you wish to conduct your complaint through the medium of Welsh.

Powered by GOSS iCM