Search site

Housing options for later life

In later life some people consider a move to a property which is better suited to their changing needs and priorities.

Your home may just be too large to look after, or perhaps there are too many stairs. Getting to the shops may be difficult - that hill is rather steep and the bus doesn't stop very close to your house. You may prefer to be in a community where other people of a similar age live, or somewhere where some care support is available if you need it. 

One option might be to find out how to have an adaptation made to your home to help you with your impairment. 

Some other options can be found below:

Retirement Housing

Retirement housing usually consists of a group of houses or apartments which have been designed to meet the needs of older people and where the age of purchasers is restricted.

The management of the complex is normally carried out by means of an annual service charge, so that there are no maintenance issues to worry about. Sometimes there may be shared amenities such as gardens, a restaurant or fitness facilities.

Some complexes offer a range of support options so that residents can buy into increased levels of on-site care if their needs change. 

Sheltered Housing

Sheltered housing provides properties specially designed for older people, with a warden service available on site.

Such housing is provided both to rent (from the Council and housing associations) and to buy (usually from specialist companies).

Information about sheltered housing from the City and County of Swansea. Currently there are approximately 983 units of sheltered accommodation split between 31 complexes across the Swansea area. Each complex has a dedicated warden and they have responsibility for managing the complex and for providing a service to the tenants in the complex.

Housing Care has a directory of sheltered housing available in Swansea. 

Extra-care Housing

Sometimes known as assisted living, this is housing - normally small apartments - where care is provided on site as part of the normal living arrangement.

Extra-care housing is designed for older people who can no longer live completely on their own but do not need 24-hour complex medical supervision. Extra care housing schemes offer a high level of services and facilities, meals and personal care services.

For some people this can be a viable alternative to a residential home.

Housing Care has a directory of extra-care housing available in Swansea 

Independent Housing Advice

It is a good idea to take independent advice before making major decisions about housing.

Age Cymru Swansea Bay has a Housing Advocacy ServiceOpens new window. They can give you advice about what is available in the Swansea area as well as practical help to fill in the right forms.
Tel: 01792 648866

Housing Options is the Council's Housing Advice Service
Tel: 01792 533100

The Elderly Accommodation Counsel (EAC)Opens new window is a national charity that aims to help older people make informed choices about meeting their housing and care needs.

Tel: 0800 377 7070

The StepChange Debt CharityOpens new window offers support to people who are finding it difficult to meet their mortgage or rental payments.

Tel: 0800 138 1111

Powered by GOSS iCM