Search site

Help and advice about housing

You can get help and advice about housing from the council's own service - Housing Options, and other organisations

Housing Options

Housing Options is the Council's housing advice service and can provide anyone with free advice and information about housing including applying for council housing, renting privately, homelessness and debt/money advice. 

Housing Options can also help you if you are having problems in your current home.  We can do this by helping you to stay where you are in the long term or by helping you stay where you are until you are able to find somewhere else to live.

The earlier you let us know about your housing problem, the more we may be able to help.

Our advisers can help in the following way:

  • Talking with relatives and friends about letting you stay in their accommodation until you can find somewhere more suitable
  • Dealing with notices to leave and possession action by landlords or mortgage lenders
  • Explaining your legal rights and responsibilities
  • Dealing with your poor housing conditions
  • Rent arrears, rent account problems and claiming benefits
  • Money advice including helping you to reorganise your income so that you can make affordable payments to reduce your debts
  • Improving the security of your home if you are at risk of violence
  • Arranging for practical support if you need any help to stay in your home eg form filling, dealing with other agencies eg job centre , utility companies
  • Finding you somewhere else to live
  • Rent deposits and bonds

In many cases we can help people to keep their home and we aim to act as early as possible before the problem gets worse.

Please contact the Housing Options team for more information, advice and help.

If you have no accommodation available to you or you are likely to lose your accommodation you should contact Housing Options as soon as possible.

Independent organisations who may also be able to help include:

Citizens Advice Bureau - debt and consumer credit advice
City Gates, 50A Wind Street, Swansea, SA1 1EE
Tel: 0808 278 7926 new window

Dewis Cymru
Online information and advice on people and services nationally and locally to you about housing, how safe and secure you feel, getting out and about, and keeping in touch with family and friends. new window

Shelter Cymru - Housing and homelessness advice
Tel: 08000 495 495 new window


If you are suffering domestic violence, harassment or need legal advice you may need to consult a solicitor. A solicitor can help you with many issues including: custody cases, injunctions, non-molestation orders and occupancy orders. Ask at Housing Options for a list of local solicitors who will be able to help you.

The booklet PDF Document Your Housing Options (PDF, 302KB)Opens new window has more information.

Powered by GOSS iCM