Search site

New - Homeswapper app for iOS and android is now available FREE on the App store - PDF Document HomeSwapper app (PDF, 274KB)Opens new window

Council tenant transfers and swaps

There are 2 ways in which you can move - mutual exchange or a transfer

Mutual exchange - home swap

You can swap your home (called a mutual exchange) with other Council tenants or tenants of other Registered Social Landlords with your landlord's agreement.  For many tenants an exchange can be a quicker way to move than applying for a transfer.  You can apply to exchange your home by joining HomeSwapperOpens new window.  This is a free online mutual exchange service which has been set up for tenants of council and Housing Association properties looking to swap homes and your local District Housing Office can help you register.

Once you've added details about your current home and about the home you want, Homeswapper will automatically match you to possible home swaps.  You will then get an email or text with details of those matches.  

When you have found someone you would like to swap your home with:

  • Arrange to visit each other's homes.  When you swap you are accepting the property in the general standard of repair and decoration that you see it in, any minor repairs or decoration needed would be your responsibility. 
  • When you have made the decision to swap home, you will then have to get written permission from your local District Housing Office before you can swap - you can get a mutual exchange form from them or print the PDF Document mutual exchange form (PDF, 869KB)Opens new window.  You will be given a decision within 42 days. Your exchange can be refused for specific reasons such as:
    • the property is smaller/larger than you need
    • you have rent arrears
    • you have breached your tenancy conditions
  • You must never make or accept any payment for an exchange with another tenant.
  • You must not move until you have had permission from us, if you do this, then we can ask you to move back.

For more information on HomeSwapperOpens new window, please contact your Neighbourhood Officer.


You can also apply for a transfer to a different property.

To transfer you will need:

  • A clear rent account
  • Have reasonably complied with the tenancy conditions
  • A home and garden in reasonable condition

Only the District Office Manager has the discretion to override these in certain situations.

You will need to complete an application form which you can get from your local District Housing Office - they can also help in completing the form, need it in another format eg large print or another language or you have any queries before, during or after making your application.  You can choose which areas you would like to move to, however, your choice of areas may be restricted by the property size you require and its availability.

Your application will be assessed and you will be awarded points according to your housing need.  We can award points if you are moving from a high demand area to a low demand area, if you are under occupying or overcrowding your property, for medical need, for social or economic reasons eg to be nearer to work, a special facility or to give or receive support. Current tenants will also be awarded time points according to the number of years that you have been in your current home.

Please be aware the housing needs register changes on a daily basis. We use a points system to assess the urgency of your housing need and a housing needs register to rank people in order of their need.  The case with the highest points is at the top of the list.

Your wait for a new property will depend on a few factors. Firstly the amount of points you have been awarded will determine your place on the housing needs register. Only the top placed person on the register will be offered a suitable property when one becomes available. Secondly, the areas you have chosen will also determine how long you may have to wait, as some areas have high demand and few people moving out of properties. Some areas have no demand and you would be able to move to these very quickly and we can also widen our rehousing criteria here.

When a property is available for you we will contact you with details of the property and ask you to contact to the District Housing Office to confirm whether you would like to take the property or not.

Powered by GOSS iCM