Search site
Hand over house

Sheltered housing

Sheltered housing provides tenants with a self contained property with the benefit of a dedicated warden.

View sheltered complexes

Sheltered accommodation will provide you with a self contained property to enable you to continue to live independently, but with a dedicated warden who you are able to contact via an intercom system without leaving the property.

Can I apply for sheltered housing?

To be considered for sheltered housing you must be over 60 years of age or you may also be considered if there are special circumstances. For more information please contact:

How do I apply for sheltered housing?

The local District Housing Office will make all offers and allocations of vacant sheltered properties in line with the housing policy and the highest pointed applicant eligible applicant. Please see Council housing for more information.

When you are offered a sheltered housing property, the warden of the sheltered housing scheme will meet with you and show you around the property and the complex. The warden will also be able to answer any questions that you may have about moving into a sheltered scheme and will be able to offer you advice and assistance.

Please be aware that the 'Right To Buy' rules mean that you will not be able to buy your sheltered housing property. Please see  for more information.

How secure will the scheme be?

The warden is responsible for ensuring that the complex is a safe and secure environment for you to live in, and for your friends and relations to visit. The security of your individual accommodation is your responsibility. The warden will be able to offer advice about security measures that you may be able to take to make you feel more secure in your home.

Buildings insurance for your home is covered by part of the rent that you pay. You are advised to take out your own contents insurance to cover your belongings. The City and County of Swansea operate a reduced cost insurance policy.

Will I be visited by the warden?

All sheltered tenants can be visited on a regular basis by their designated warden during normal working hours from Monday to Friday. The frequency of visits will be determined with the warden depending on your support needs.

On weekends and Bank Holidays the visits will be carried out by Care Assistants employed by April Care Solutions. The warden will assess if there is a support need for visits on weekend

The visit that the warden makes is an important element in the support that the City and County of Swansea can provide you with. The visit by the warden will:

  • Enable the warden to check on your general health and well being
  • Provide you with assurance and peace of mind
  • Provide you with a means of reporting concerns and seeking advice and assistance from other agencies

The amount and level of support will be determined by your needs. Staff are there to support you in being able to live an independent lifestyle.

However the warden will not clean, cook, administer medication, provide personal care etc.

Will the warden be able to enter my property without consent?

The warden will not give your key to anyone unless they are on your nominated 'key holders' list. However, you can give your key to anyone you wish.

Accessing anyone's home is a not an action which any staff member from the City and County of Swansea will take lightly. The warden will only consider entering you home if all other checks that have been made have failed. The warden may also enter your home only when and if there is immediate concern for your safety and well being. Such times could be:

  • When a tenant can be seen through a window or a letterbox and is seen either to be incapacitated or in serious difficulties
  • When either a neighbour or a relation has informed the warden that they have serious concerns for your well being

The guest room

Some complexes have guest rooms which can be made available to visitors or relatives of a sheltered tenant who need to stay overnight because of the ill health of a tenant or because they live too far away to travel. A charge will be made for use of the room. If urgent use of the guest room is needed and there is not one available at the complex where you live, enquiries can be made at complexes near by.

Community alarm system

All sheltered housing units provided by the City and County of Swansea are linked to the Community Alarm Service via pull cords and intercoms which are fitted into your property and all communal areas. These can be used in emergencies at any time. When the warden is on duty it will call them to come and help you. When the warden is unavailable it will call Careline who will get assistance to you. The most vulnerable and immobile tenants can also have a 'warden call' pendant which is worn around the neck to summon help when needed. Your warden will assess if you are eligible for one of these.


Any repairs which are needed to your property should be reported to the Repairs Contact Centre on 01792 635100 between 8.30am and 5.00pm Monday - Thursday and 8.30am - 4.30pm Fridays or to your warden who will report it for you. Any emergency repairs which occur out of these hours should be reported on 01792 521500.

Social activities

The warden will encourage and help tenants to organise social activites and events for the other tenants. Joint activities between complexes can also be arranged. The range of activities include: coffee mornings, bingo, theatre trips, talks and seminars, theme nights and hobby groups etc. Tenants are encouraged to join in as this can reduce any feelings of loneliness and isolation and develops strong community spirit. However tenants do not have to participate if they don't want to.

How do I end a sheltered tenancy?

Please see Leaving council housing for more information.

Other help

Social Services may be able to offer assistance to help you live in your home more independently. They offer a range of services, some of which include:

  • Home Care or private domestic domiciliary care
  • Specialised equipment for use in your home
  • Advice and information

If you have any enquiries for Social Services please telephone them during office hours on 01792 636519 or contact the Intake Team for Health and Social Care

Powered by GOSS iCM