Search site

Not happy with a Housing Benefit decision?

Disagree with a decision or make an appeal.

Housing Benefit claimants

When we make a decision, we send you a letter that tells you how your Housing Benefit was worked out. The letter will also tell you the start and end dates of your claim.

If you do not understand our decision or want to know more, please contact us as soon as possible to ask for more details.

The Benefits section can be contacted on 01792 635353 between 10am and 3pm Monday to Friday.  Alternatively you may e-mail

If you are the person who claimed Housing Benefit (or their appointee) and you think a decision the Council has made about your benefit is wrong you can: 

  • Ask us for an explanation of our decision and/or a written statement of the reasons for the decision, or
  • Tell us you disagree with the decision, and why, and ask us to look at it again, or
  • Appeal against the decision.

Generally, you must ask us to do this within 1 month of the date of the letter we send you about the decision unless you have a special reason for a late request. Any appeal will only be treated as made on the day we receive your letter/completed appeal form so please make sure that it reaches us within 1 calendar month of the date of our letter.

If you decide to make an appeal, the law requires that we have a document that you have signed telling us what you want to do.

You should write us a letter  or scan this letter via email to tell us: 

  • which decision you disagree with and
  • the reasons why you disagree with it

Remember to sign the letter and then send it to the Benefits Section Appeal Team, Civic Centre, Oystermouth Road, Swansea SA1 3SN or scan the letter and e mail We may need to write to you for more information or evidence about what you tell us.


There are special rules if you are the landlord of a property as you can only ask the Council to re-examine or appeal against certain decisions.

These are: 

  • A decision about whether Housing Benefit is to be paid directly to you
  • The amount and period of an overpayment we have decided to recover from you
  • A decision about whether to recover an overpayment of Housing Benefit from you

When you contact us

Whenever you write to us about a decision, a senior benefits officer will look at your claim again to make sure we have not made a mistake.

If the senior officer decides the original decision was not correct, your claim will be amended and we will send you a new notification letter explaining how the new amount of benefit was calculated. You would then have the right to appeal against this new decision.

There are different rules and time limits for appealing against a decision on a claim for Council Tax Reduction.

Powered by GOSS iCM