Search site

Council Tax Reduction basic information

Council Tax Reduction helps you pay your Council Tax if you are on a low income.

Who can claim Council Tax Reduction?

Anyone who pays Council Tax for the property they live in and is on a low income (including Universal Credit) could get Council Tax Reduction to help pay for all or part of their Council Tax. How much your Council Tax will reduce by will depend on your income and circumstances.

You can apply for Council Tax Reduction whether you're unemployed or working however if you have over £16,000 capital you will not normally be entitled to a reduction.  

How is Council Tax Reduction worked out?

We look at:

  • How much money you have coming in and your personal circumstances
  • The amount of savings you have (more than £16,000 will normally disqualify you unless you are receiving Pension Credit Guarantee Credit).  
  • The circumstances of your household members (age, sex, disabilities) and their relationship to you.

How much will I be entitled to?

Use our online benefits calculator to obtain an estimate of how much benefit you might get.

When will my reduction start?

To make sure your reduction starts from the earliest date possible, you should contact us as soon as you need help to tell us that you plan to claim. Council Tax Reduction normally starts from the day we receive your claim.

Changes in circumstances

If you have applied for Council Tax Reduction and/or have been told that you have been awarded it, you must tell us about changes that might affect your reduction as soon as they happen.

Report a change of circumstances which may affect your Council Tax Reduction

Powered by GOSS iCM