Search site

I have received a court summons for not paying my Council Tax

Act now if you receive a summons to go to court.

If you have received a court summons, pay the full amount shown as due before the court date and you will not have to pay additional costs. No further recovery action will be taken against you either.

Why have I received a court summons?

You have not paid in accordance with the previous reminder or final notice issued to you. To pay the summons amount go to our online Payments page or ring us on 01792 635382 immediately.

I am unable to pay

If you cannot make full payment or have an unresolved Council Tax liability dispute, including an outstanding application for Council Tax Reduction please call us immediately on 01792 635382 to see how we can help.

Even though you have lost your right to pay by instalments and have incurred additional costs, we may consider making an arrangement with you to clear the summonsed debt.

Remember, even if this is agreed, we will still go to court to obtain a liability order.

What if I do nothing?

Failure to pay or contact us may result in the use of bailiffs or other methods to collect the Council Tax due. That would incur additional costs that you would have to pay on top of what you already owe and  may result in the removal of goods from your property. It would also affect your ability to obtain credit or other services.

If you think you may be entitled to a discount or exemption, please check our reduce your council tax page.

Powered by GOSS iCM