Search site

I need financial advice

Sources of financial advice

Council Tax is a bill that has to be paid like anything else but we understand that people can get into difficulties with the payments through no fault of their own. If you are having problems, please contact us straight away. Don't just ignore it as it won't just go away. We are happy to discuss the situation and agree a realistic payment plan with you. We may also be able to help you get advice on how you can manage other debts you may owe and help you avoid further problems.

If you don't let us know that you are having difficulty making payments and we have to take action against you, further costs may be added to the debt so you will end up having to pay more than the original amount. We want to avoid this happening so please act now and get in touch with us.

What do I do if I have problems paying?

We will always consider making an arrangement for you to pay by instalments. We may ask for details of the money you have coming in and your expenses to make sure you can keep up with the payments we agree.

Contact us straight away to discuss what we can do to help.

We can also put you in touch with our Welfare Help and Advice Team who can help you with money management and also tell you about any other benefits you could claim or if there are any discounts off your Council Tax that you might be entitled to.

Other organisations that can help

National DebtlineOpens new window offers free, confidential and independent help. Please call freephone 0808 808 4000.

StepChange debt charityOpens new window offers free, confidential advice and tools to help people understand and manage their money. Please call freephone 0800 138 1111.  

The Citizens Advice BureauOpens new window offers specialist services relating to Debt. Help is available in person locally. Please call 01792 474882 for an appointment .

moneymadeclearwalesOpens new window provides impartial and independent advice about different money needs.  Ring the Money Advice Service on 0300 500 5000.

Illegal money lendingOpens new window If you have borrowed money from an illegal money lender or loan shark and would like confidential help and advice, contact the Illegal Money Lending team on freephone 0300 5552222. 

Powered by GOSS iCM