Search site
Cymraeg

New chapter in store for mansion house

Swansea's Mansion House could be about to enter a new chapter in its illustrious history.

Mansion House

The Mansion House, which is situated in Ffynone and was completed in 1863, currently holds a number of functions hosted by the Lord Mayor of Swansea.

Swansea Council is now looking to work alongside a company to host new events and activities there.

The Council already has an arrangement at the historic Brangwyn Hall which holds a range of events and celebrations throughout the year.

Cllr Rob Stewart, Leader of Swansea Council, said, "The Mansion House is one of Swansea's best known venues and plays an important role in hosting civic events ranging from royal visits to local groups and charities.

"We want to make the most of its wonderful location and character by holding more activities there for the public, groups and businesses.

"We're looking for a company to work with us to help deliver new events and activities. We are open-minded in terms of potential use and at this stage we want to see what companies can offer.

"This will not detract from the Mansion House's civic role as the Lord Mayor will continue to host events there for visiting dignitaries and community groups to help promote the city and recognise local good causes.

"By opening up the Mansion House for new uses we can develop business opportunities and ensure its future as an important and thriving venue for the people of Swansea."

The Mansion House was built by local builder Evan Matthew Richards and, following several changes in ownership, was purchased by the then County Borough of Swansea in 1922 as an official residence for the Mayor. From 1923 until 1975 it also served as lodgings for visiting judges.

Although there have been internal alterations, the House maintains many of its original features such as the Victorian tiled entrance hall, the mahogany staircase which showcases the large stained glass window commemorating the original owner and his family.

On the front terrace are six-pounder cannons which were cast in 1804 for the defence against possible attack by the French.  The guns were never fired in anger.


Powered by GOSS iCM