Search site

Legal advice

If you are unable to make decisions about your own health and welfare who can? Power of attorney allows someone you choose to help support you to make decisions.

Decisions can be made on your behalf on a temporary basis, for example if you are in hospital, or more permanently. It is important that the person you choose to represent you has your best interests at heart. Age UK have guidance on choosing an attorney on their website at new window.

If you would prefer to speak to someone you can contact Age UK Advice on freephone 0800 169 2081.

The Older People's Commissioner for Wales has also produced an easy guide to lasting powers of attorney including information on choosing an attorney and the process needed to put them in place. You can find the guide on their website at new window.


Swansea Social Services has more information on Making decisions about your health, welfare and finances on their pages of this website. They also have information about the Mental Capacity Act 2005 which protects people who may lack the mental capacity to make decisions for themselves.


If you would like more advice on legal issues including power of attorney and making wills you can contact the Citizens Advice Adviceline on 03444 77 20 20 or visit a local office. The main office in Swansea is at Llys Glas, Pleasant Street, Swansea, SA1 5DS. You can phone 01792 474882 to find out about booking an appointment.

They also provide information on their website about managing affairs for someone else at new window.


The Office of the Public Guardian is an executive agency of the Ministry of Justice. They are there to protect people in England and Wales who may not have the mental capacity to make certain decisions for themselves, such as about their health and finance. You can find out more information about the Office, advice and what you can do if you have concerns about an attorney on their website at new window.

Powered by GOSS iCM