Search site

Health and social care

It is important to look after your your wellbeing and keep healthy. If you struggle to do this and need support then Swansea Social Services and other agencies may be able to help.

Swansea Social Services are made up of a number of specialist teams. If you are looking for support then you should contact the team that is most appropriate for you. The Common Access Point for Health and Social Care deals with all initial enquiries and referrals relating to older people and people with a physical disability. There are also teams that deal with safeguarding, sensory services and mental health. You can find the contact details of all these teams on the Contact Social Services page of this website.

You can contact the Common Access Point for Health and Social Care by phone on 01792 636519. They are available Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5.00pm and on a Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm. You can also email them at or contact them by SMS on 07796 275412.

PDF Document Social Services: Care and Support Assessments for Adults (Factsheet 001) (PDF, 115KB)Opens new window


Care at home

If you are finding it harder to cope with day to day tasks living at home then home care services can help. Personal care can include help with getting up and going to bed, bathing, dressing, meals and medication. Practical support may include help with housework, shopping and going out.

The home care services provided by Swansea Social Services can help with this support. In most cases, this service is offered to people who would otherwise have to leave their own homes and live in residential care. Their support can be either long term or short term if you need help after ill health. If you would like to be assessed you should contact the Common Access Point for Health and Social Care. If you do not qualify or would prefer other arrangements then there are a number of other agencies across Swansea that can help.

You can find out more about the care at home services that are available in Swansea on the Care at home pages of this website.


Sensory impairment

If you have sight or hearing loss and would like support you can contact the Sensory Services Team which includes specialist social workers and care managers who support people with sensory loss. They can provide a range of information, specialist advice and practical support. You can contact them by phone on 01792 315969.

RNIB Cymru, Action on Hearing Loss Cymru, Deafblind Cymru and Sense Cymru are working in partnership to provide information, advice and support to people with sensory loss in Wales. They can check you are getting benefits you are entitled to and let you know about support available in your area. You can phone them on 0333 323 0227 or contact them by SMS on 07860 031200.

There is more information on the services that Social Services and other agencies can provide on the Adults with a Sensory Loss page of this website.


Mental health

Understanding emotional or wellbeing issues and having access to advice on how they can be managed are important first steps that can prevent conditions from worsening further down the line. Our Community mental health teams include social care and health service staff and are able to offer support in a number of ways. You may be referred to them by your GP or you can contact them directly. You can find information on how to get in touch with them on the Mental Health page of this website.

If you are looking for self-help then Book Prescription Wales gives you free access to high quality self-help books that have been specially selected by psychologists and counsellors working in Wales. A GP or other health professional prescribes the therapy book which is available to borrow from any library across Wales. The scheme includes books on many of the common issues, including depression, stress, eating disorders, obsessive-compulsive problems, panic, anger and low self esteem. There are also books for those people who are having severe memory problems and their families.

MIND is the national charity providing advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health issue. Local branches include services such as talking therapies, crisis helplines, drop-in centres, employment and training schemes, counselling and befriending. If you would like to speak to someone about gaining advice or support you can phone their Infoline on 0300 123 3393 or text 86463. Their website includes lots of advice and information. If you would like to share your experiences with others you can join their online community. You can find out more on their website at new window.


Help with medical matters

If you are looking for information about health and wellbeing or are feeling unwell then NHS Direct Wales can offer advice. You can call them on 0845 46 47 if you are feeling ill and are unsure what to do, or for health information on a wide range of conditions, treatments and local health services. 

Their website lets you learn more about your health you can also search in your own time for local NHS services such as dentists, pharmacies or support groups in your area. You can find their website at new window

Add to Your Life is a free NHS Wales health check to help you live longer, feel better, and stay healthy and active into the future. It can help you discover more about your health, learn the simple steps you can take to stay fit, and discover local services to help you make a positive change in your life. The health check is available at new window

Powered by GOSS iCM