Search site

Services for People who have Hearing Loss

This page provides information for those who have are D/deaf or who have a hearing loss.

It provides a guide as to what services are available from Social Services at the City and County of Swansea and how you can apply for help from Social Services and other organisations.  It also explains more about registering your hearing loss.

A note on terminology: You may see the term "deaf" spelt with or without a capital "D". Capitalisation is used to distinguish between medical and cultural models of people with hearing loss. The British deaf Association define the differences thus:

"Deaf" (with capital D) - Someone with a strong cultural affinity with other Deaf people, whose first or preferred language is British Sign Language (BSL).

More about hearing loss

There are different types of deafness.  Some people are born deaf and may have BSL as their first language.  Some people have acquired hearing loss as a result of eg illness, a hereditary condition or ageing.


The Local Authority holds a register of people with hearing loss.

Registration as D/deaf or hard of hearing is completely voluntary.  If you chose not to register you will still be able to access the same services.

Why register?

It  makes it more straightforward for you to access certain services and benefits.

It also allows your name to be included on the register which assists your Local Authority in planning future services for yourself and other D/deaf people.

We have a factsheet PDF Document Disabled Registration for People with a Physical or Sensory Disability (Factsheet 028) (PDF, 26KB)Opens new window which gives further information.

What is available to help me?

The Sensory Services Team includes specialist workers who support people with a hearing loss. They can advise you where to get help, support and information with regard to:

  • Welfare Benefits
  • Communication formats
  • Housing issues
  • Referral to Adult Education/Employment Services
  • Bus Pass
  • Rail and other travel concessions.
  • Personal support in times of need.
  • Information on sign language, lip reading classes (where available).
  • Community Alarm (Life line) and Big Button telephones
  • Carer's Assessment 
  • Functional assessment
  • Information on BSL Interpreters, lip Speakers and Deaf/Blind Communicators

Certain services are only available if you meet the eligibility criteria.  A Care Manager would assess your circumstances and identify needs.  See our factsheet Social Services: Care and Support Assessments for Adults for further information. 

The following types of service may be offered to people who meet the eligibility criteria:

  • Issue of equipment to enhance independence.  This would be fitted by our Technical Officer.
  • Occupational Therapy services
  • Direct Payments   
  • Respite Care
  • Day Opportunities
  • Residential Care Home services
  • Domiciliary support

We have a Resource Centre of equipment for people with sensory loss offering an opportunity to trial equipment for suitability prior to purchase from providers

Getting in touch

The Sensory Services Team is made up of specialist workers based at

Swansea Vale Resource Centre
Ffordd Tregof
Swansea Vale

They can be contacted Monday to Friday between 9.00 a.m. and 1.00 p.m. by:

Telephone: 01792 315969 (Duty Line)

Text Relay:  18001 01792 315969

Fax: 01792 785021

SMS: 07919 626434




Other sources of support

There are a number of organisations that  provide advice to people who are Deaf or have a hearing loss, including:

Action on Hearing LossOpens new window (formerly RNID)
Tel: 0808 808 0123 or 02920 333 034
SMS/Text:  0808 808 9000

British Deaf AssociationOpens new window
Representing the Sign Language community
Tel: 0207 697 4140
SMS/Text:  07795 410 724

Wales Council for Deaf PeopleOpens new window
Tel: 01443 485687
SMS/Text: 01443 485686

A Hard of Hearing Group meets monthly in the Civic Centre.  

More information about local and national support organisations for people with hearing loss.

Swansea Social Services and personal information 

When you are in touch with Social Services, we will keep information about you in written records and computer files. We will keep this information confidential, except where we need to share it with people providing you with care, or to protect you or other people. 

You have a right to ask to see records we keep about you. 

We can give you more information about how we handle personal information - see Your Personal Information: Our Commitment to You

Comments and complaints 

We welcome any comments about our services - good or bad. We are interested to hear how we could do things better, and we like to know when we are doing well. 

If you are unhappy with the services you receive, we encourage you to make a complaint. Full details are given in Making a Comment, Complaint or Compliment about Swansea Social Services

For more advice or information about making a complaint, you can contact our Complaints Officers on 01792 637345. 

Powered by GOSS iCM