Search site

Apply for a riding establishment licence

Use our online form to apply for a licence to keep a riding establishment.

You must complete the application form in full.  You will need to pay the application fee when you submit your form.  There will be a fee to pay for the vets visit once this has been done.

  1. Swansea Council is the data controller for the personal information you provide on this form. We are collecting this information as part of our obligation under Riding Establishments Acts 1964 and 1970. Your information will be used to help us fulfil our legal obligation and will not be used for any other purpose. We will not share your data with third parties unless we are required or permitted to do so by law.

    Data protection law describes the legal basis for our processing your data as necessary for compliance with a legal obligation. For further information about how Swansea Council uses your personal data, including your rights as a data subject, please see our corporate privacy notice on our website.
  2. Riding Establishments Acts 1964 and 1970

    Application for a licence / extension of provisional licence

    Riding Establishment licence fee is £173

    Fields marked * are required
  3. 1. Applicant details
    1. PRIVATE ADDRESS (or if a Body Corporate, name of Body and address of Registered Office)
  4. 2. The Establishment
    1. 2a. Is the establishment operative throughout the year? *
    2. 2b. If no, state the period when normally operative
    3. 2c. Who will have direct control or management of the establishment?
    4. 2d. Is that person the holder of any of the following certificates?
      1. Assistant Instructors Certificate of the British Horse Society *
      2. Instructors Certificate of the British Horse Society *
      3. Fellowship of the British Horse Society *
      4. Fellowship of the Institute of the Horse *
      5. 2e. If the person named above does not hold any of these certificates, give details of his or her experience in the management of horses.
    5. Upload certificates here (if applicable):

    6. 2f. Is a responsible person living on the establishment? *
    7. 2g. If no, what arrangements are there in case of emergency?
    8. 2h. Will the carrying on of the business of the Establishment be left at any time in the charge of a person under 16 years of age? *
    9. 2i. Will supervision by a responsible person of the age of 16 years or over be provided at all times while horses from the establishment are used for providing instruction in riding, or are let out on hire for riding (except in the case of a horse let out for riding when the hirer is competent to ride without supervision)?
    10. Label *
  5. 3. The applicant is required to answer 'yes' or 'no' to the following questions
    1. Are you, or any person who will have control or management of the establishment, disqualified for the time being from:
    2. Keeping a riding establishment? *
    3. Keeping a dog? *
    4. Keeping a pet shop? *
    5. Having custody of animals? *
    6. Keeping a boarding establishment for animals? *
  6. 3b. Insurance details
    1. Are you the holder of a current insurance policy? *
    2. • Insures you against liability for any injury sustained by those who hire a horse from you for riding and those who use a horse in the course of receiving from, in return for payment, instruction for riding;

      • Insures you against liability arising out of such hire or use of a horse; and

      • Insures such hirers or users in respect of any liability which may be incurred by them in respect of injury to any person caused by, or arising from, such hire or use.
    3. Insurance policy (if applicable)
  7. 4. The horses
    1. 4a. How many horses are kept under the terms of the Act at the present time?
    2. 4b. How many horses is it intended to keep under the terms of the Act during the year?
    3. 4c. What accommodation is available for the following:
      1. (Please state number, or dimensions in the case of a yard)
      2. a) Horses
      3. b) Forage and bedding
      4. c) Equipment and saddlery
    4. 4d. Is land available for:
      1. a) Grazing *
      2. b) Instruction or demonstrating riding *
  8. 4e. Vet details
    1. What is the name and address of your usual veterinary surgeon/practitioner?
  9. 5. Declaration
    1. I am aware of the provisions of the Riding Establishments Acts 1964 and 1970 and I apply for: *
    2. (A licence is valid from the date of issue or from the first day of January next, please state preference)
    3. to keep a Riding Establishment commencing: *
    4. I declare my answers to the above questions to be correct in every respect.
  10. Did you fill this form in yourself?
  11. Label
    1. IMPORTANT: When you click 'submit' you will be taken to our payment system.

      Please ensure that you fully complete your bank details and progress to the confirmation of payment, or your payment will not be processed.
Powered by GOSS iCM