Apply for free school meals
Fill out a form to apply for free school meals for your child.
It is important that the information you give us is for the parent/guardian who claimed the payment. Free school meals are available to families in receipt of one of the following payments:
- Universal Credit if your annualised net earnings are £7,400 or less
- Income Support
- Income based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income related Employment and Support Allowance
- Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit with an annual income, as assessed by the Inland Revenue that does not exceed £16,190 and NOT receiving Working Tax Credit
- Working Tax Credit 'run-on' - the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit (please note you will not be entitled to free school meals if you receive Working Tax Credit in any other circumstances).
Covid-19 - Swansea Council are supporting children that are entitled to free school meals during this period of school closure by offering their carer the choice of how we provide them with five lunches a week.
- A fortnightly payment of £39 direct to their bank account (equating to £19.50 a week).
- A weekly food parcel that we are seeking to enhance each week. The parcel contents vary from week to week, and we are working with local suppliers to provide appropriate products. Carers can contact the child's local school if they have any dietary needs such as vegetarian or halal, or to get the parcel delivered to the doorstep.
Once the school has been notified that a pupil is eligible for free school meals they will contact the eligible carer to arrange registration for the bank payments. The carer will be sent an email to confirm the process.
DO NOT CONTACT the free school meals team with queries about these payments. Please contact your child's school.