Toggle mobile menu visibility

What happens after you report anti-social behaviour on a council estate

Your initial complaint will be investigated either by the area housing office or by the Neighbourhood Support Unit (NSU).

The type of action taken will depend on the nature of the complaint. Cases may be referred to other sections, such as Environmental Health for example, where there is a possible statutory noise nuisance, or the Safer Swansea Partnership when there is anti-social behaviour (ASB).

In some instances a letter will be sent to ask the perpetrator of the ASB asking them to modify their behaviour. Sometimes this will be enough to resolve the issue.

Other cases of more persistent behaviour will result in tougher sanctions being imposed against the perpetrator. We will seek to encourage perpetrators to mend their ways, possibly through providing support or by working with partners to find ways of stopping the anti-social behaviour.

In all cases the response will depend on the type of ASB, and the quality of the evidence available for appropriate and proportionate action to be taken.

What powers does the Neighbourhood Support Unit (NSU) have?

The NSU is not a substitute for the police service. The NSU supports the area housing offices in combating ASB. The NSU provide a 24 hour landlord presence on our estates, monitor CCTV on a number of council estates, respond to incidents and undertake patrols to new incidents.

The role of the NSU is to offer reassurance, provide support and to help to gather the evidence necessary for enforcement action to be taken. In order to gather the evidence they may issue you with a diary to record incidents. The NSU may also use surveillance, either convert or open, and if necessary attend court as 'professional witnesses'. They can also refer people to trained mediators to sort out disagreements or neighbour disputes.

Specialist support for victims and witnesses will be arranged, if it is considered that they may be at risk from perpetrators. ASB that is evidenced, and is considered to be a serious breach of tenancy will result in the council taking court proceedings.  All efforts will be made to persuade perpetrators to modify their behaviour. Legal action taken may result in undertakings or injunctions being awarded against perpetrators and may result in their eviction.

Will my details be kept confidential?

Yes, your details will never be released unless you give your explicit consent.

Do I have to give my name?

We understand that people wish to remain anonymous through fear of reprisal; however, cases are more difficult to resolve unless we have the ability to get more information or to corroborate the facts.

Close Choose Language