Toggle mobile menu visibility

Animal boarding

If you want to run an animal boarding establishment including a day care animal service for cats or dogs you will need a licence. You will also need a licence to run a home boarding or dog sitting business from your own home.

Before we issue the licence, an officer from the council will inspect the premises. You are also advised to contact Planning for advice regarding any planning permissions that may be required.  

Unlike a boarding kennels and large dog day care facilities, home boarding and dog sitting involves the dog living within the household as a family pet.  You do not need to be licensed just because you look after someone's dog as a favour once in a while.  Please note that homes where children under 5 years are living cannot be licensed for home boarding or dog sitting.

You will not be given a licence if you've been banned from keeping a pet shop, or convicted of any other animal welfare offences.

In partnership with EUGO logo
How to apply

Apply for an animal boarding establishment licence Apply for an animal boarding establishment licence

Apply for an animal home boarding licence Apply for an animal home boarding licence

You must complete the application form in full.  You will need to pay the application fee when you submit your form.  There will be a fee to pay for the vets visit once this has been done.


Animal licences fees Animal licences fees

You must submit your fee with the application.  You will be asked to pay a further fee to cover the vets visit once that has taken place.

If you apply by post you should make cheques payable to 'City and County of Swansea' and send it with your completed form.


Tacit consent

It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact Licensing.


If you have any problems with your application or would like more information then please contact us on 01792 635600 or email Any applicant who is refused a licence or who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to their licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' court.

Apply for an animal boarding establishment licence

Use our online for to apply for a licence to run your own animal boarding establishment.

Apply for an animal home boarding licence

Use our online form to apply for a licence to run a boarding/dog sitting service in your own home.

Guidance notes on applying for a licence to keep a boarding establishment for animals

Advice for owners and prospective owners of animal boarding establishments.

Register of establishments licensed for animal boarding and home boarding

The following premises are registered as animal boarding or home boarding establishments in Swansea.
Close Choose Language