Toggle mobile menu visibility

Port Talbot County School (later Glan Afan Comprehensive)

Dedication of the war memorial

Port Talbot County School
The foundation stone for Port Talbot County School was laid in 1893 by Emily Talbot, owner of the Margam Estate, and it opened on 28 September 1896. The first intake consisted of 44 boys and 41 girls.

The school was enlarged in 1938 and became Glan Afan Grammar School in 1951. Later, in 1959, it became Glan Afan Technical School, before amalgamating with several other schools in 1965 to become Glan Afan Comprehensive School. The school was closed in July 2016 as part of a wider reorganisation of schools in Neath Port Talbot and the site scheduled for redevelopment, and therefore the school's war memorial has been included in this project.

The school's records have been transferred to West Glamorgan Archive Service. The document digitised here is the order of service for the dedication of the memorial. It includes a list of the names of the 37 former pupils who died in the First World War, and also a photograph of the memorial itself. The memorial was unveiled on 10 November 1921 by Sir Thomas Mansel Franklen, Clerk of Glamorgan County Council and a distant relation of Emily Talbot who laid the foundation stone.

Download a large version of the Roll of Honour (PDF) [411KB](opens new window)

Back to the list of names

Close Choose Language