Toggle mobile menu visibility

The Ffynone synagogue

The story of the Goat Street synagogue came to an abrupt end in February 1941 when the building was destroyed by German bombs. However this did not spell the end for the Swansea Hebrew Congregation.

The Ffynone Synagogue
Luckily some Scrolls of Law had been removed to the homes of some of the congregation before the 'Three Nights Blitz'. Despite the loss of their synagogue, the community was determined that Jewish life in Swansea should continue as usual. In the years that followed, the congregation used temporary premises to celebrate high festivals.

In 1944 the congregation purchased a property called Ashleigh at Ffynone. The intention was to begin work on the construction of a new synagogue immediately following the restoration of peace. Unfortunately, due to difficulties in obtaining the necessary licences, building work did not begin until 1952. On 30th October 1952, the Chief Rabbi, Israel Brodie, visited the town to lay the foundation stone.

The new synagogue was officially opened in 1955. The synagogue comprised seating for 84 persons, with a hall large enough to seat a further 260 people. The two sections were divided by a folding partition that could be pulled back to provide accommodation for nearly 400 worshippers during high festivals. There was also a spacious entrance hall, a cloak room, two school rooms and a kitchen. The synagogue and hall were illuminated by five large south facing windows. The new building also benefited from gas central heating. The construction of the Ffynone synagogue marked the high point of Jewish life in Swansea.

Read how the community evolved as time went by.

Close Choose Language