Search site

Advocacy Services

Advocacy services can help you in situations where you may not feel able to deal with everything on your own.

What is advocacy?

'Advocacy is about taking action to help people say what they want, secure their rights, represent their interests and help them to obtain the services they need'. (Action for Advocacy)

An advocacy service can help you in situations where you may not feel able to deal with everything on your own. An advocate is independent and non-judgemental. You might think of an advocate as someone with specialist knowledge who will take your side and who you agree can act on your behalf.

An advocate can:

  • Help you find relevant information
  • Ensure that you understand your rights
  • Speak on your behalf and represent your views
  • Liaise with professional services on your behalf
  • Go with you to meetings and other formal appointments

Usually you would use an advocate to help you with a specific issue like obtaining a service, dealing with abuse or making a complaint rather than for ongoing support. 

You may wish to use the services of an advocate if you feel unsure or concerned when you have to make an important decision about your care choices.

Some of the advocacy services which operate in Swansea

Independent Professional Advocacy (IPA) Service

This is available to those entering into or already engaged with Social Services, and is accessible when a person can only overcome the barrier(s) to participating fully in the assessment, care and support planning, review and safeguarding processes with assistance from an appropriate individual, but there is no appropriate individual available.

Monday - Thursday, 9.00am to 5.00pm 

Friday, 4.30pm 

  • Drop in
  • Self-referral
  • Agency referral

Mental Health Matters Wales, Oystermouth Rd, Swansea, SA1 3SN

Tel:  0300 10 249 70


Advocacy Support CymruOpens new window

Independent mental health advocacy for people who are in hospital (either detained or on a voluntary basis) as a result of mental health problems.
Tel: 029 2054 0444 

Carers Advocacy Service (Swansea)Opens new window

A service for carers aged 50 or over run by Swansea Carers Centre
Tel: 01792 653344 or drop in to the Carers Centre any Wednesday between 11.30 and 12.30.

Advocacy (Alzheimers Society)

A service run by the Alzheimers Society which advocates for people living with dementia or are in the process of obtaining a diagnosis
Tel: 01792 531208

Your Voice AdvocacyOpens new window

A service which can support people with a learning disability through the assessment process and help them exercise their rights. 
Tel: 01792 646573 

Tros Gynnal - Swansea, Neath and Port Talbot Advocacy ServiceOpens new window

A children's rights organisation which offers an advocacy service for children and young people.
Tel: 01656 669 354 or Freephone: 0800 328 7289

Meic CymruOpens new window

Advocacy, information and advice helpline for children and young people in Wales
Tel: 080880 23456

Minority Ethnic Elders Advocacy ProjectOpens new window

Advocacy service run by Swansea Bay Regional Equality Council for people aged 50 or over from any ethnic minority background
Tel: 01792 457035

Swansea Bay UHB Community Health CouncilOpens new window

The CHC operates an independent complaints advocacy service for people who want to make a complaint about any aspect of NHS provision.
Tel: 01639 683490

Citizens Advice Swansea Neath Port TalbotOpens new window

The Citizens' Advice Bureau can provide advice on a range of issues and in some circumstances may offer advocacy support. 
Tel: 03444 772020 

Other voluntary sector organisations may also have people who will act as advocates for the client group they support.

British Institute of Human Rights (BIHR) - Guides and FactsheetsOpens new window

Website with Human Rights Guides and Factsheets: 

Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy 

Under the Mental Capacity Act 2005, there is an Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy (IMCA) service which has a role to support people who lack capacity to make certain decisions, particularly where serious medical treatment or a change of accommodation is being considered. People can only be referred to this service by a local authority or NHS Trust, and in some circumstances there is an obligation for these bodies to instruct an IMCA. 

Powered by GOSS iCM