Swansea Gypsy and Traveller sites
These pages provide information on the review process for Gypsy and Traveller sites in Swansea.
Swansea Council has to provide new Gypsy and Traveller site provision in order to meet current demand in the city. This will provide a permanent place of residence for Gypsy and Traveller families who already live in Swansea.
A quick overview (PDF, 6Mb)Opens new window of the assessment process has been produced and a more detailed step by step breakdown is set out below:
The current situation
- At present, there is only one permanent site in Swansea for Gypsy and Travellers. The site is at Pantyblawd RoadOpens new window, and is fully subscribed.
Review and consultation process
- A cross-party Member Gypsy and Traveller task and finish group was established to recommend suitable council owned site provision. The assessment process incorporated a strict set of Criteria for sites that was applied throughout.
- A public consultation was carried out and closed on 31 March 2013
- A report following the consultation has been produced. It was presented to Full Council on 21 October 2013. You can view the complete Report and appendices relating to the Gypsy and Traveller sites review process on these web pages.
- A report was presented to Cabinet on 5 November 2013. You can view the agenda packOpens new window which includes the report and a copy of the representations made by petitioners at Full Council on our Councillors and committees pages. The meeting was webcast for members of the public to view the meeting.
A public consultation was completed on 31 March 2013. Detailed information is provided below on the assessment process carried out. This information was available throughout the consultation period.