Economic Regeneration Strategy - Swansea 2020
Swansea has benefited from significant investment and employment growth in recent years. To build upon the success that has been achieved to date, an Economic Regeneration Strategy - Swansea 2020, has been produced that will guide the regeneration of Swansea's economy over the next ten to fifteen years.
Swansea 2020 will deliver the prosperity theme of Swansea's Community Strategy, and has been produced by the Swansea Economic Regeneration Partnership (SERP), which is the Community Strategy's 'Partnership for Prosperity'. It seeks to raise prosperity levels for all people, businesses and communities in the City & County of Swansea.
Swansea 2020 has been prepared following extensive consultation with partners and is supported by a comprehensive evidence base.
It sets out a clear and ambitious vision for the future, and highlights the key economic regeneration priorities and activities that will help achieve the vision. It focuses on six strategic aims, which respond specifically to Swansea's economic circumstances:
- Increasing productivity : to raise productivity levels in Swansea to close the productivity and output gaps with the UK average
- Knowledge Economy : building and developing the knowledge economy in Swansea
- Economic Equity : tackling deprivation and the high levels of economic inactivity in Swansea
- Entrepreneurship : promoting the formation and survival of businesses in Swansea to create new employment and wealth
- Focus Clusters : promoting the development of key sectors in the local economy - IT & Communications, Life Sciences, Professional Services, Tourism, Marine Industries and Creative Industries
- Children & Young People : engaging young people and equipping them with the skills they need to contribute to the future economic success of Swansea
The strategic aims are supported by four cross cutting themes, which thread across the Strategy :
- Foresight : monitoring future markets and technologies so that Swansea is able to exploit the opportunities that arise
- Sense of Purpose & Image : building a sense of purpose amongst businesses, communities and people, and promoting Swansea internationally
- Competitive Places : making Swansea a place where people want to live, work and visit. This encompasses sites and premises, transport, revitalisation of the city centre, the natural environment and tourism
- Excellence in Delivery & Sustainability : promoting high standards in the implementation and delivery of the strategy
A copy of the Economic Regeneration Strategy can be downloaded below........
Swansea 2020 [1.4Mb]
For more information on Swansea 2020 please contact :
Steve Phillips - Economic Development Team Leader
City and County of Swansea
Regeneration and Housing Department
Economic and Strategic Development
Tel: 01792 637265