Change text size
| Listen to this website Listen to this website | Text Only | Normal| Contrast| Cookies
Logo to act as a header and advert for City and County of Swansea|
Website URL : http://www.swansea.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=43432

Child Performance Licensing

image depicting performance licensing

The legislation governing children in entertainment covers children from birth to statutory school leaving age (the last Friday in June of the school year in which a child reaches 16 years of age)

The requirement to licence:

The legislation requires Performance Licences to be issued by each Local Authority to children who take part in the following categories:

  • A live broadcast or recorded performance for example, a television or radio programme or film.
  • A theatre performance where a charge is made.
  • Any performance on licensed premises.
  • Child modeling and sport where the child or any other person is paid (other than payment for expenses)

The person responsible for the production of the performance in which a child is taking part is the person who should make the application for the licence.

The application must be made to the City and County of Swansea who will process the application.

Application forms, fully completed with all the relevant documentation attached, must arrive at the Civic Centre no later than 5 working days before the performance is due to take place.

Some performances may not require a licence.  If you are unsure whether a Child Performance licence is required please contact Alma Lodwick on 01792 637276 for advice.

When does a child NOT need a licence to perform?

  • If the child performs for only 4 days in any 6 month period and they do not need time off school to undertake the performance.
  • If a child takes part in their full time school performance (this is an educational school not a school of dance).
  • Performances put on by a 'Body of Persons'
  • Any activity that the Local Authority does not consider to be a performance such as children interviewed or filmed while taking part in some normal activity not specially arranged for the purpose such as doing school lessons, playing in the park
  • If the activity is directed in any way it may be reviewed and converted into a performance.

Applications for child performance licences for any child who resides in Swansea will be processed within the address shown below.

If a Child Performance Licence is not required we still request that the organiser of the performance/show register all children taking part.  This allows us to keep a register of all Swansea children taking part in a performance.  Even if a licence is not required most of the rules and regulations still apply.

The School and Governor Unit

City and County of Swansea

Civic Centre

Oystermouth Road




The forms that are applicable for applying for a Performance Licence are downloadable from the right hand side of this page.

Further Information

For further information please visit the National Network for Children in Employment and Entertainment website.

© 2014 City and County of Swansea
Civic Centre, Oystermouth Road, Swansea. SA1 3SN. Tel: 01792 636000 Fax: 01792 636340