Change text size
| Listen to this website Listen to this website | Text Only | Normal| Contrast| Cookies
Logo to act as a header and advert for City and County of Swansea|
Website URL : http://www.swansea.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=32695

Help to repair your home

image depicting Help to repair your home

We may be able to help with grants, loans and advice to repair your home.

The type of assistance that may be available are:


Emergency Repair Fund (ERF)

Comfort Safety and Security Grants (CSS)

Grant for Nominations- Empty Properties

Empty Homes Loans - Houses into Homes loans


As part of Housing's strategy for dealing with private sector disrepair, particularly in older and disabled persons' homes, the City and County of Swansea may be able to offer a Homefix Loan. This is for owners who cannot afford monthly repayments but have equity in their property. To qualify you must be on a low income (based on a means test) and over 60, or over 18 and on a disability benefit. You need have owned and lived in the property for 3 years, and the property must be over 10 years old. Eligible works will be items of repair that are required to enable the occupant to live in a hazard free home and of a decent standard.

In addition, our surveyor will able to advise you about general maintenance and provide approximate costs. He or she will also consider energy efficiency and if required refer you to the Energy Saving Trust, one of our partners, to help tackle fuel poverty and help reduce energy use and carbon dioxide emissions.

See the Homefix Loan leaflet for more information.

Emergency Repair Fund (ERF)

To be eligible to apply for the Emergency Repair Fund you must:

  • Be over 60 or over 18 and in receipt of a disability benefit; and in receipt of income support, guaranteed pension credit, council tax benefit, or income based job seekers allowance
  • Have lived in and owned your property for 3 years or more

If you are a Housing Association tenant or a private tenant you cannot apply for an Emergency Repair Fund - contact your landlord if you think your premises require repairs.

There is more information on this in Private Rented Housing.

Only defects which represent an immediate danger or require emergency rectification are eligible to be included under the Emergency Repair Fund.  These can include serious leakage, risk of collapse, malfunctioning sanitary facilities, risk of fire, serious damp, risk of fall etc.

The maximum grant is £3000 over any 5 year period, with awards made under previous legislation/policy taken into account. Any grant approved will be placed as a local land charge against the property.  This means it must be repaid when the property is sold or transferred to another owner.

The property must be able to be put into a reasonable state of repair and hazard free for this amount. If it cannot, the Homefix Loan will be offered in its place.

Please contact 01792 635330 for information. 

Comfort Safety and Security Grants (CSS)

This is aimed mainly at Minor repair work for Owner Occupiers who are Swansea Care and Repair Clients (older and disabled persons) in receipt of a means tested benefit. The maximum funding is a £1000 over any 5 year period with awards made under previous legislation or policy taken into account. These works could facilitate an adaptation or telecare package and would be undertaken by Handy-person. The Care and Repair Cymru website has more information.

Grant for Nominations- Empty Properties

The Grants for Nominations scheme aims to encourage landlords of empty properties to bring them back into use. Properties that have been identified as being empty for a minimum of 2 years may be eligible for the grant. The Council requires the property to be let via their preferred Social Letting Agent for a period of not less than 3 years from the date of grant certification and the property is deemed suitable for letting.

A Maximum grant of £20,000 or 75% eligible costs, whichever is lower, is available. The property must be at least 10 years old and be identified on the Council's Empty Property Register as being empty for a minimum of 2 years. Priority will be given to properties in areas identified as being in the most housing need. 100% grant is repayable for up to 3 years following the date of certification if the property is sold, or deeds transferred, the property is vacant for 6 months or more, the nomination agreement is not being met or the property is not let by the Councils preferred Social Lettings Agent.

Empty Homes Loans - Houses To Homes Interest Free Loans – Continuation of Funding

The Welsh Government launched a new scheme, Houses into Homes, in February 2012.

Tackling empty homes is a core part of the Welsh Government's national housing strategy. The Welsh Government's Programme for Government published in May 2011 included a commitment to introduce a new Empty Property Initiative called 'Houses to Homes'. This has now been extended with new funding for a second year. Nationwide, £10 Million has been made available for loans to bring long term empty homes back into use and tackling the negative social and environmental impact such properties have on a neighbourhood. The scheme will also support regeneration through increased renovation and building work, increase the number of affordable homes and help local authorities to deal with homelessness. It takes the form of a 2 or 3 year interest free loan, accessed by the owners of empty properties to assist with the cost of renovating or converting them.

The scheme is now up and running with Swansea acting as lead for the Western Bay region which consists of Swansea, Bridgend and Neath and Port Talbot. The Western Bay Region has a further £1.6 million for the 2013/14 financial year with £750 000 available for owners of empty homes in Swansea.

To date there have been 100 enquiries for loans. Anyone interested in a loan should in the first instance contact Renewals and Adaptations on 635330 or email urbanrenewals@swansea.gov.uk and ask for an expression of interest form.

If you would like to discuss any of the above please contact 01792 635335.  You can also email: UrbanRenewals@swansea.gov.uk.

© 2014 City and County of Swansea
Civic Centre, Oystermouth Road, Swansea. SA1 3SN. Tel: 01792 636000 Fax: 01792 636340