Online exhibition: The City of Swansea celebrates its 40th anniversary
An online exhibition to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the grant of city status to Swansea.
The investiture of HRH Prince Charles as Prince of Wales took place at Caernarfon Castle on 1 July 1969. Two days later, on 3 July, he visited Swansea, and at a civic reception he announced to the people of Swansea that their town was to receive the honour of city status. He returned on 15 December to present the royal charter.
In 1969, Swansea became the second town in Wales to be granted city status. The announcement was made by the Prince of Wales on a visit to Swansea on 3 July 1969, although it wasn't until the following December that letters patent were issued by the Queen in confirmation.
The Prince of Wales announced that Swansea was to become a city when he visited in July 1969. He returned in December the same year to present the city status charter at a special ceremony in the Brangwyn Hall.
This is the text of the charter presented to Swansea by the Prince of Wales.
Swansea's first charter was granted by William de Newburgh, Lord of Gower, in the twelfth century. The first royal charter was granted by King John in 1215.
With towering apartments and state-of-the-art Liberty Stadium, Swansea is changing all the time. But what was the town like when the Prince of Wales visited in 1969?