Change text size
| Listen to this website Listen to this website | Text Only | Normal| Contrast| Cookies
Logo to act as a header and advert for City and County of Swansea|
Website URL : http://abertawe.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=27523

Are you new to Benefits?

The City and County of Swansea is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites.

Passport to Leisure - The Passport to Leisure scheme allows Swansea residents who are on a low income discounts of up  60% at a wide range of council run sports and leisure venues. Also a selection of private companies throughout the city will offer similar reductions. People who receive Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction would be entitled to discounts under the scheme and more information can be found at the Passport to Leisure page.

Jobseeker's Allowance - If you're out of work or working less than 16 hours a week on average, you may be able to get Jobseeker's Allowance. To find further information, go to Direct.Gov

Looking for work or need some training? - If you need help looking for work, training or to claim any benefits please visit the Direct.Gov Employment pages.

Crisis Loans - These are now dealt with under The Discretionary Assistance Fund scheme, for more details visit The Discretionary Assistance Fund.

Tax Credits -Tax credits are payments from the government. If you're responsible for at least one child or young person who normally lives with you, you may qualify for Child Tax Credit. If you work, but earn low wages, you may qualify for Working Tax Credit. Go direct to the HM Customs & Revenue page to find out more.

Concerned about Housing? - This service is provided by the City and County of Swansea and the single access route into housing for all potential tenants of the City and County of Swansea. Visit the Housing Options page for more information.

Water rates - Find out if you can reduce your water bill, qualify for 'Welsh Water Assist' and improve water efficiency by visiting the Welsh Water Website.

Advice on heating bills - The Council has put together a web page for those who may be worrying about increasing heating bills during cold spells. You can find out more on the Heating Bill advice page.

Citizens Advice Bureau - This organisation can offer you a free, confidential and impartial service; it can also advise you on all aspects of the law, such as your rights and responsibilities. They offer you comprehensive information and the advice service that they provide is available to everyone. Swansea Branch details available here.

Age UK - Age UK Swansea is a local independent charity, providing services and support to keep older people well and in their own homes for as long as possible.This is their web page.

Repossessions - For further advice you can contact Shelter Cymru. Shelter Cymru is Wales' housing and homelessness charity. They work for people in housing need. They have offices all over Wales and prevent people from losing their homes by offering free, confidential and independent advice.Image depicting Panic Button 2

Money worries?  The Debt Panic Button helps you save cash and take control.

You may also find this leaflet useful if you don't want to spend too much on furniture and electrical items.

Debt counselling service - Need advice on managing and reducing debt? The following links may be of help. These two organisations do provide a FREE service. StepChange debt charity and National Debtline.

The Pension Service - If you are of or approaching Pensionable age, The Pension Service website has all the information you require to check your Retirement Pension and to see if there are any other benefits you may be entitled to such as Pension Credit.

© 2014 City and County of Swansea
Civic Centre, Oystermouth Road, Swansea. SA1 3SN. Tel: 01792 636000 Fax: 01792 636340