||
||
Change text size
| Listen to this website Listen to this website | Text Only | Normal| Contrast| Cookies
Logo to act as a header and advert for City and County of Swansea|
Website URL : http://www.swansea.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=1830
||

History

image depicting Old picture of The Grand Theatre, Swansea

A brief history of Swansea Grand Theatre

Since 1897, Swansea's Grand Theatre has been providing the public with a broad range of cultural, artistic and general entertainment events.  The Grand Theatre was designed by the architect William Hope of Newcastle in 1897.  It was built by D. Jenkins and was opened by Madam Adelina Patti - an Opera Diva of her day - under the original proprietors Morell and Mouillot. 

The Swansea Corporation leased the building in May 1969 and bought it outright in 1979. The Theatre was then refurbished and updated during the period 1983 - 1987 at a cost of £6.5m.  A further £1m was spent for the Arts Wing to open its doors for the first time in 1999.





© 2014 City and County of Swansea
Civic Centre, Oystermouth Road, Swansea. SA1 3SN. Tel: 01792 636000 Fax: 01792 636340