History of the Mayoralty
In September 1835, Swansea's old corporation, headed by the portreeve, was replaced by a new municipal corporation.
The new corporation styled itself 'the Mayor, Aldermen, and Burgesses of Swansea'. This new corporation, in contrast to the old, was to be elected by the ratepayers of the borough. The Municipal Corporation Act which instituted this change also defined the legal position of the mayor, the title for the head of municipal corporations which was to become universal in England and Wales after the passing of the Act.
Subsequent local government legislation between 1835 and 1972 may have introduced slight modifications to the role of mayor, but his basic functions have changed little since 1835.
Robes and regalia
Chain of office
Change in Swansea
Under the terms of the Local Government Act 1972, the former city and county borough of Swansea were replaced by the Swansea District Council. On 1 April 1974, the day on which the act came into force, the status of borough and city was bestowed upon the district, thereby granting the right for the chairman of the district council to be styled as the mayor.
On 22 March 1982, HM Queen Elizabeth II graciously granted to the city of Swansea letters patent which elevated the status of the mayor to that of Lord Mayor. The Unitary Authority of the City and County of Swansea which came into being on 1 April 1996 was successful in having both the City and Lord Mayor status re-bestowed.