Change text size
| Listen to this website Listen to this website | Text Only | Normal| Contrast| Cookies
Logo to act as a header and advert for City and County of Swansea|
Website URL : http://www.swansea.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=14684

Domestic Alterations

image depicting Domestic Alterations

We offer advice on many aspects of domestic building work including loft conversions, electrical safety, replacement windows and doors and exempt buildings.

It is important that you comply with the Building Regulations.  If you fail to notify the council of work being carried out, you may be committing a criminal offence.  Evidence of Building Regulations approval may also be needed if you wish to sell your house in the future.

A competent persons scheme has been set up for certain areas of building work, including electrical works and replacement windows and doors.  Information on these can be found on the pages below.  If you do use a self-certified contractor, you must make sure they are registered for the work being done. When the work is completed, they must issue you with a certificate to confirm that the work complies with the building regulations.

Even if your building is classed as exempt, you may need to comply with Part P of the Building Regulations, which covers Electrical Safety.  Further information on this is available below.

If you are having construction or refurbishment work done, you may also need to notify the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and you may have other duties as well. Find out more by clicking on the link  www.hse.gov.uk/construction/cdm/buildingcontrol.htm

If you require any further information on any area of our service, please contact us on 01792 635636 or email bcon@swansea.gov.uk.

If you are unable to visit the Civic Centre, we will be happy to call at your premises to discuss your application or any queries you may have.  You can arrange a visit by contacting Building Control or using our Request Form

There are certain buildings that may be exempt from Building Regulations.
image depicting Interactive House
Use the Planning Portals interactive guide to find out whether you need Building Regulation or Planning approval for works on your home. Choose from the Interactive House guide, Interactive Terrace guide or the list of Common Projects
image depicting Garage after conversion
You will need to apply for Building Regulations approval if you plan to convert a garage.
image depicting Completed Loft Conversion
You will need to apply for Building Regulations approval if you intend to undertake a loft conversion.
image depicting The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 : Explanatory Booklet
The Act provides guidance for preventing and resolving disputes about party walls, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings.
image depicting Window
All replacement glazing comes within the scope of the Building Regulations meaning anyone installing replacement windows or doors has to comply with strict thermal performance standards.
image depicting Wall
If you are building a wall which is retaining land over 1.5 in height you will need to submit an application. This applies to new retaining walls or extending an existing one.
image depicting Plaster
Since April 2009 works to replace a roof, re-render walls or replace a floor, are controlled by the Building Regulations.

© 2014 City and County of Swansea
Civic Centre, Oystermouth Road, Swansea. SA1 3SN. Tel: 01792 636000 Fax: 01792 636340