||
||
Change text size
| Listen to this website Listen to this website | Text Only | Normal| Contrast| Cookies
Logo to act as a header and advert for City and County of Swansea|
Website URL : http://www.swansea.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=1414
||

Collections Centre

image depicting Inside the museum store

The Collections Centre is a fascinating place to visit because it houses the Museum's reserve collection.

Swansea Museum Collections Centre opens to visitors every Wednesday, 10am to 4pm, providing more opportunities to see the reserve and maritime & industrial collections. 

image depicting Hafod Copper Works

The Collections Centre can be found next to the Park and Ride car park, opposite the Liberty Stadium, on the Cross Valley Link Road, Landore, Swansea, SA1 2JT.

Some of the most popular items in the collection at Landore are the old vehicles like a traveller's van, lorries, a fire engine and also boats.  There are even two lifeboats; the Naomi Beatty and the William Gammon.

The William Gammon was gifted to the museum in 1992.  She was named in memory of the coxswain of the Mumbles lifeboat, who lost his life along with the other seven crew members on April 23rd, 1947 whilst attempting to rescue the crew of the Samtampa. 

The collection from the former Maritime & Industrial Museum in Swansea is also at the Landore site.


The Museum's Reserve Collection is housed in a historically important building on the former Hafod / Morfa Copper Works site in Landore. In the mid-nineteenth century this copper-smelting complex was the centre of world copper smelting activity. Little evidence remains of this industrial past however, save for the buildings on this site - click here to see a brochure about the Hafod Copperworks.

The Museum Store occupies a building which dates back to about 1830.  For most of its industrial life it was used as a Rolling Shed, and the building provides nearly 2000 sqm of open-plan storage space, with smaller side rooms and annexes to provide offices and additional storage space.

This building has been transformed into a public-access store and collections centre. Some of the side rooms now have environmentally controlled storage for sensitive collections, as the building houses the reserve collections of both Swansea Museum and the Maritime and Industrial Museum.  

A small number of items from the former Maritime & Industrial Museum are on loan to the NWM, but the major part of the permanent collection is now housed at the Swansea Museum Collections Centre at Landore, next to the Park and Ride carpark opposite Liberty Stadium.


Please ring Swansea Museum on 01792 653763 to arrange a visit by your school group or community organisation.





© 2014 City and County of Swansea
Civic Centre, Oystermouth Road, Swansea. SA1 3SN. Tel: 01792 636000 Fax: 01792 636340