Change text size
| Listen to this website Listen to this website | Text Only | Normal| Contrast| Cookies
Logo to act as a header and advert for City and County of Swansea|
Website URL : http://www.swansea.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=1210

Help and support with paying your rent

You may be entitled to help with paying your rent or you may need support with paying you rent.

Housing Benefit

From April 2013, the Government is introducing changes to the Housing Benefit system. Please ensure you see the pages 'Housing Benefit changes - what you need to know' and 'Benefit Changes' or use the links on the side of the page for more information.

Housing Benefit is paid to those on a low income whether they are working or not and is to help you pay your rent.

In general you can apply for Housing Benefit if you satisfy the following conditions.  There are some exceptions to these rules, so if you are unsure about claiming, please contact the Benefits Section for more information:

  • You are over 16
  • You are a named tenant in rented accommodation
  • You have less than £16 000 in savings

The amount of Housing Benefit you will receive depends on the amount of rent you have to pay, the number and ages of people in your family and the amount of income and savings you have. If you are awarded benefit, if there are ever any changes in your family or income please inform the Housing Benefit Section as this may affect what you are entitled to.

To apply for Housing Benefit you need to complete a form that you can get from your District Housing Office, the Housing Benefits Section in the Civic Centre, through the Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit internet pages - there is also information on opening hours etc here, by telephoning the Take Up Team on 01792 635885 or email newclaims4benefits@swansea.gov.uk.

Support Services

If you need financial advice, the following organisations may be able to assist:

Council's Financial Inclusion Officer: If you are having difficulty with your rent contact Paula Montez 01792 534098 or 07920 560244 email : rentsteam@swansea.gov.uk

Tenancy Support Unit (TSU) - the TSU is run by the City and County of Swansea and they can offer a support worker to help with financial or any other support in relation to your tenancy.  Please contact your Rent Officer or the TSU on 774360 for further information or email tsu@swansea.gov.uk.

Citizen's Advice - Swansea Citizen's Advice are at Llys Glas, Pleasant Street, Swansea, SA1 5DS, Advice Line: 08444 77 20 20 or there is a drop in service at the office, opening times are on: www.swanseacab.org.uk

Shelter Cymru - if you threatened with homelessness they will offer you free advice and assistance, telephone 469400.

Housing Options - offers a money and debt advice service on all aspects of debt and money management.  They offer free advice if your tenancy is at risk.  Their telephone number is 533100 or email housingoptions@swansea.gov.uk

Debt Panic Button - free support and advice on managing debt for people who have money worries or debt concerns

Stepchange debt charity offer free debt advice.

LASA Credit Union offer saving schemes and low cost loans.

National Housing Debt Helpline Wales Tel : 0800 107 1340

© 2014 City and County of Swansea
Civic Centre, Oystermouth Road, Swansea. SA1 3SN. Tel: 01792 636000 Fax: 01792 636340