Search site

Fireworks and explosives licensing and registration

If you sell or store fireworks you need to be licensed by us.

You should also store the fireworks safely, know your fire drill and display a sign where fireworks are supplied or exposed for supply. The HSE has guidance on storing and selling fireworksOpens new window on its website.

It is illegal to:

  1. Sell adult* fireworks to anyone under the age of 18 or;
  2. Possess adult* fireworks in a public place.
  3. Set off fireworks between 11pm and 7am except for Bonfire Night, when the cut off is midnight, New Year's Eve, Diwali and Chinese New Year, when the cut off is 1am.

*Any firework except for a cap, cracker snap, novelty matches, party poppers, serpents and throw downs. These cannot be sold to anyone under the age of 16.

Unless you have an all-year licence, then you can only supply fireworks:

  • from 15 October to 10 November
  • from 26 to 31 December
  • on the first day of the Chinese New Year and the three days immediately preceding this
  • on the first day of Diwali and the three days immediately preceding this

How to apply

Download the PDF Document explosives application form (PDF, 42kb)Opens new window to apply by post.

You must complete the application form in full.  You will need to pay the application fee when you submit your form.

You should also provide evidence to support your application. These include a location plan of the site to scale in relation to its surroundings, and if you are intending to store or display more than 12.5kg of fireworks on a shop floor, a floor plan of the sales area. You can find out further information on the Age restricted products pages under Retail sale of fireworks.


You must submit your fee with the application. 

If you apply by post you should make cheques payable to 'City and County of Swansea' and send it with your completed form.

Powered by GOSS iCM