Dropped kerbs, or vehicle crossovers are the lowered kerb stones that allow vehicles to access driveways and other access roads to homes.
Many homes in Swansea have no dropped kerbs or very narrow crossovers.
We are able to provide dropped kerbs to properties that are approved. If you would like a crossover on a classified road (A, B or C roads) you will need to have planning permission as well.
Once we receive your application an inspector will visit the site. Formal consent and a fixed price quotation will then be forwarded to you. We aim to do this within 4 weeks, but it may take slightly longer during busy periods.
The actual construction of the crossover will normally be completed within eight weeks of receipt of payment (made in advance) for the full cost of the works.
You should note that the council does not allow the construction of the crossovers by private individuals.
What work will be done
When we create a vehicular crossover we will
- lower the kerbs in front of your drive.
- move or protect highway furniture, pipes and cables
- strengthen the existing footpath and grass verge from the boundary of the property to the edge of the road
- resurface or re-pave as needed.
What are the benefits of applying for a vehicle crossover?
- Reduced congestion on the road.
- Improved safety for other road users and pedestrians.
- Less risk of damage to your vehicle and possible lower insurance premiums.
- Reduced damage to pavements and verges
- Possible increase in value of your property due to an off road parking facility.