Search site
Market stall

Street trading

Street trading is selling or offering to sell any item in the street. This includes any road, path, beach, or other area to which the public have free access to.

All streets in Swansea need to have Street Trading Consent to trade. There are two designated trading areas in Swansea.

Inner Zone (City Centre)

There are currently 11 PDF Document designated pitches in the city centre (PDF, 572kb)Opens new window some of which have been or are in the process of being allocated. Should you wish to apply for Street Trading Consent for those that remain and/or those pitches where the consent is due to come to an end please download the  PDF Document Application pack for inner zone (city centre) street trading pitch (PDF, 1Mb)Opens new window or contact City Centre Management on 01792 633090 for a copy.

You can see our PDF Document Inner Zone summary (PDF, 140kb)Opens new window for details of the status of each of the City Centre pitches in terms of their availability and planning consent.   

The aim of the scheme is to raise the profile of street trading in the City Centre in terms of the appearance and management of the pitches as well as to provide a platform for business development in the heart of the city.

Applications will only be received either by being sent by recorded delivery to City Centre Management, Room 2.6.3, Civic Centre, Oystermouth Road, Swansea, SA1 3SN or returning in person to the Contact Centre, Civic Centre, Oystermouth Road, Swansea, SA1 3SN where you will receive a receipt for your application and fees submitted.

All applications received will be considered relevant to the conditions laid out in the application pack and that the first months fees or full fee for the term applied for has been enclosed with the application.

In order to minimise the delay to applicants, a period of 28 days consultation will commence at this point after which the applications will be scrutinised by our Street Trading Allocation Panel before being offered to individual traders.  This process will pay particular attention to the design and maintenance of the stall and the range and type of products / services being proposed.

Outer Zone (outside City Centre)

The other trading area is the Outer Zone - all public and private land within the local authority area outside the City Centre.

The only exemptions to the above include news vendors and rounds-men.  Please contact Trading Standards on 01792 635600  if you think you may be exempt before you commence trading as there has just been recent case law which defines what a rounds-man is.

Applying for an Outer Zone Street Trading Consent

There is a separate application form for the Outer Zone and you should complete this in full. Please make sure that you read the guidance notes before completing the form.  Use the checklist on Page 4 of the application before submitting, to insure you have supplied everything.  Failure to do so will result in your application being returned to you with a letter stating the required information or documents.

In partnership with EUGO : This link opens in a new window How to apply

To obtain a Street Trading Outer Zone Consent you can either download the PDF Document Application for Street Trading Consent and notes for applicants (PDF, 93kb)Opens new window or contact Trading Standards on 01792 635600.

Once completed, the application form will only be received by either returning to the Reception, Civic Centre, Oystermouth Road, Swansea SA1 3SN where it will be checked and then a receipt will be provided to you as submission, or by sending it by registered post to Trading Standards, The Guildhall, Swansea, SA1 4PE.

With both the Inner and Outer Zones applications once received they will go through a 28 day consultation process where a copy of your application is sent to agencies relevant to the application to see that there are no objections.  Once the application has gone through this process and there are no objections, a Street Trading Consent will be issued along with all other relevant documentation, with the date you can start trading and when the Consent expires.

If there are any objections then the application will be referred to the Councils Licensing Committee who will review the application. Their decision is final and there is no appeal.


You must submit your first month's fee with the application or full payment for the term applied for. Cheques must be payable to 'City and County of Swansea'.

If you choose to pay the remainder of the fees due monthly you must complete the Direct Debit form.  Alternatively an invoice will be sent to you to pay the remainder of the fees shortly after your Street Trading Consent is issued. 


Planning permission for the Inner Zone will be arranged by Council Officers.  However If you are planning to trade from a Pitch in the Outer Zone you may also need to have planning permission.  Please contact the Planning Department on 01792 636000 to check prior to making your application.

Food Registration for Street Traders

If you are selling food you need to register your mobile vehicle with the local authority in whose area the vehicle is stored when not in use. Once completed and returned to them, they will make arrangements with you to check your trading vehicle to ensure it complies with the relevant legislation.

Cars being sold by the side of the road

It is an offence to place or offer a car for sale at the side of the road without a Street Trading Consent under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 Schedule 4 - Street Trading.

It is also an offence to place two or more cars for sale at the side of the road within 500m of each other under the Cleaner Neighbourhood Act 2005.

For further information please contact Trading Standards

Powered by GOSS iCM