Search site
Cymraeg

Moving and expansion

Constructed to the design of Joseph Hall and built by John Thomas, the market was opened by the portreeve Thomas Thomas on Saturday the 25th September 1830.

Moving the market

The new market was much larger: it boasted entrances on Oxford Street, Union Street and Orange Street. A modest rubble wall punctuated with chimneys ran alongside the Oxford Street face, enclosing the stalls and encircling an area measuring 320 by 220 feet (98 by 67 metres). A market house was situated in the centre with a prominent clock tower which was built with stone from the old market hall by the Castle. 

Apart from the pent roof along the wall with the chimneys, the market was open to the elements. 

The population of Swansea was forever increasing and the town's damp climate was taking its toll on the market. By late Victorian times, massive improvements were urgently needed.

Read about the second Oxford Street market
 

Powered by GOSS iCM