Clyne Valley Country Park
Clyne Valley Country Park is the city's only country park. Within its 700 acres you will find a very varied landscape ranging from open and wooded hillsides, steep gorges and quarries to meadowland and wet valley floor.
This variety provides a range of habitats for a great diversity of plants and animals.
A number of different woodland types can be seen: dense oak, birchwoods and spacious beechwoods.
Bird life is abundant: common types such as wagtails, wrens, nuthatches, robins and woodpeckers can be found together with the more unusual nightjars, blackcaps and buzzards. Small mammals in the area include grey squirrels, badgers and foxes.
A number of quarries remain. In particular Clyne Quarry in the north not only provides spectacular views but is of considerable geological interest.
Water is also an attractive element of the park. The Clyne River weaves through the area and there are a number of attractive lakes and ponds. In addition there are a number of manmade water courses.
- BMX Pump Track
- Ynys Newydd trail (PDF, 367kb)Opens new window and play area (access off Ynys Newydd Road)
- Clyne Valley Orchard (access off Ynys Newydd Road)
- There is a permanent orienteering course in Clyne Valley. Free and open to access at all times.
- Parking - see access information below
- Toilets nearby (opposite parking on Mumbles Road) at Blackpill Lido
- Café (The Junction) nearby adjacent to Blackpill Lido
- Pubs: The Railway Inn in Upper Killay and The Woodman off Mumbles Road
Until recently Clyne Valley was an important area of industrial activity. Much industrial heritage is still visible within the park. Coal mining was the initial industry in the valley, starting as early as 1305, although it was not until the sixteenth centuries that large scale coal working occurred. This took the form of Bell Pits, a hazardous method of working, which involved the digging out of a cavern as large as possible without causing roof collapse. These can be seen in particular in Clyne Woods on the western slopes of the valley. These were followed by larger pits such as the Clyne and Ynys Collieries. At this latter mine an old winding engine remains.
The growth of the coal industry couple with local raw materials led to the growth of related industry. An ironworks was built near Clyne Quarry in the north and a Chemical Works operated off Mill Lane in the south, substantial elements of which remain.
A brickmaking industry thrived from the early nineteenth century until well into the twentieth, the final works being demolished in 1950.
The industrial activity required transport. A tramway connecting with Mumbles Railway was built in 1804 and a network of railway lines followed. A number of canals were also built, many remains of which are still clear today.
The old London Midland Scottish railway from Swansea Victoria to Shrewsbury passed through the valley. Its trackbed now forms the park's main footpath and cycleway.
- Part of the site is in Gower Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB)
- Killay Marsh Local Nature Reserve lies within the boundary of the park
- Clyne Wood Arsenic and Copper Mine
- Clyne Wood Coal Level
- Clyne Valley Shaft and Mounds
- Ynys Pit and Leat
- Clyne Wood Colliery Steam Winding Gear
Grid Reference SS610915
OS Explorer Map 165 Swansea/Abertawe
There are a several pedestrian access points to this country park including (starting from south working anti-clockwise around park):
- Off Mill Lane in Blackpill (Off Mumbles Road A 4067)
- Mumbles Road (A4067) in Blackpill
- Derwen Fawr Road (south)
- Ynys Newydd Road (off Derwen Fawr Road B4436)
- Off Aneurin Way
- Olchfa Lane off Gower Road on west side of Olchfa School
- From Woodside Avenue off Gower Road in Killay
- From Clyne Valley Road off Gower Road in Upper Killay
- Off Gower Road by the Railway Inn in Upper Killay
There is a network of footpaths around the site.
There are two main car parks - off B436 adjacent to A4067 Mumbles Road or on Ynys Newydd Road adjacent to Derwen Fawr Civic Amenity Site off B436. There is also a small car park adjacent to the Railway Inn in Upper Killay.
Bus stops near access points in Killay, Blackpill, off Aneurin Way/Rhyd-Y-Defaid Drive, by Olchfa School (Gower Road).
Cycle track 4 of the National Cycleway Network follows the old railway line through the Park running from Blackpill through to Killay, Gowerton, Loughor and beyond.
Several bridlepaths run through the park.