A vehicle may be treated as abandoned if it has been left in an area for a period of time or has no registered keeper. It may not be taxed and may also be in a dangerous condition.
If we believe a vehicle has been abandoned a DVLA check may be carried out to find the current keeper details. If it is considered that the vehicle is in a dangerous condition it is treated as a priority removal and will be removed within 24 hours. Abandoned vehicles on private land are subject to a 15-day notice period usually after consulting with the land owner or agent.
Report an abandoned vehicle
To help us deal with the abandoned vehicle quickly please tell us the following information about the vehicle,
- Make, model and colour
- Vehicle registration number (If the registration plates are missing this may be found on the tax disc if displayed)
- Condition of the vehicle (detailing any vandalism)
- Tax disc expiry date, if displayed
- Exact location of the vehicle
- How long the vehicle has been abandoned
- Any other information, e.g. who the owner or user may be.
Removal of untaxed vehicles
Through devolved powers from the DVLA, we are able to remove untaxed vehicles from the highway. If you have information regarding untaxed vehicles in the Swansea area please use our Report an abandoned vehicle online form or telephone 01792 636819.
Remember - If you have an untaxed vehicle on the public highway you may be liable for any fines imposed.