Motor salvage operator
All motor salvage operators need to register with the local authority in which the business is based.
You are classed as a motor salvage operator if you:
- recover for reuse or sale salvageable parts from motor vehicles and sell or otherwise dispose of the rest of the vehicle
- buy written-off vehicles and repair and resell the same vehicle
- sell or buy motor vehicles that are to be subject to any of the two activities above
You must keep records that should be available for inspection by an authorised officer. These records can be in either electronic or manual form and must be located at or accessible from the registered place of business.
When receiving any vehicle you should record,
- details of the vehicle registration number, vehicle identification number, make, model and colour of the vehicle;
- the name, address and contact details of the supplier of the vehicle;
- details of any proof of identity shown to the registered person to establish the identity of the vehicle supplier. This includes a UK photocard driver's licence, a passport, utility bill, council tax bill or rent book, or other form of identification containing a photograph of the vehicle supplier;
- the general condition of the vehicle including details of the type of damage to the vehicle (for example whether the damage has been caused by fire, water or impact) and the part of the vehicle damaged;
- the date on which the information was entered on the record.
When you sell or dispose of any other vehicle you should record,
- the date of sale or disposal of the vehicle;
- the name, address, and contact details of the person receiving the vehicle;
- details of any proof of identity shown to the registered person to establish the identity of the person receiving the vehicle. This includes a UK photocard driver's licence, a passport, utility bill, council tax bill or rent book, or other form of identification containing a photograph of the vehicle purchaser;
- the condition of the vehicle at the time of the sale or other disposal. (For example, whether it was repaired, unrepaired, dismantled, or in the same condition as at purchase);
- the date when the information was entered on the record.
You must keep these records for six years from the last entry on the record of each vehicle (for example from date of disposal).
How to apply
Download the motor salvage operator licence application form (PDF, 50kb)Opens new window to apply by post.
You must complete the application form in full. You will need to pay the application fee when you submit your form.
You must submit your fee with the application.
If you apply online you should pay at the same time using our secure online system.
If you apply by post you should make cheques payable to 'City and County of Swansea' and send it with your completed form.
If you have any problems with your application or would like more information then please contact us on 01792 635600 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.